Friday, January 23, 2015

Never Let Go First

My mom always had amazing advice, especially when it came to being a mom. She also gave the absolute best hugs. Her advice was simple yet big, “Never be the first to let go in a hugs. Always let your children hold on until they are ready to let go.” The day she told me that, I thought about all the hugs I gave her and she never let go first. She would stand in the hallway for the longest time just hugging me until I let go.

I do this with my children now, I will stop anything that I am doing when they want a hug. I want them to know my hugs are unlimited. I want them to always know that I will never be the first to let go. They can hug me and I will hug them back for as long as they need.

Wanting a hug from me may not always be the “cool” thing in front of friends. It may become even more annoying that anything as they grow older when mom always wants a hug. It’s something that they will long for when we are gone.


They may not remember the amazing birthday parties, the presents at Christmas or the nice clothes. Their memories will not go to those things, they will go straight to the hugs where mom never let go first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment