Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Matters Of The Heart

Ever have those moments where you wonder if anything you are doing is right when it comes to you children? I have those moments daily. I wonder if they are really paying attention to what I am saying when they are running around. It worries me at times because I want to make sure I give them every piece of advice I can to help give them a better life.
We have been working a lot with our oldest to learn about Jesus. I promise some days I feel like he doesn't retain a single thing I am saying. That’s the funny thing about these little guys, they hear way more than we think they do. They also understand way more that we think, sometimes in ways we as adults can’t even comprehend.

Last year I was pregnant with our youngest son. We decided to make the gender reveal ultrasound a family event for just our little family. Mind you we could not announce out loud the gender because we were going to surprise friends and family. Any mother knows if you need to keep something a secret, do not, I repeat; do not tell your toddler. The ultrasound technician pointed out all the parts to the new baby. “See his sweet face?” she would say. “Look at those long legs, this baby will be tall.”

Our oldest sat quietly and watched the screen in amazement. We were a little in shock that he was in fact so quiet, this is very rare. Suddenly, he broke the silence. This is the point where as a parent you become nervous, you are not sure what they are about to say in public and there is no stopping them.

“Excuse me Miss, do you know who Jesus is?” she paused.

“Yes” she answered a bit confused.”

“Well, can you show me Jesus on the screen in that babies heart.”

My heart sank; I couldn't stop the tears from flowing.  Our sweet boy had been hearing every word I was saying. All the times I explained that Jesus lives inside your heart, he listened. 

Can I encourage you today and tell you that all those times you thought your words were falling on deaf ears, they were not. You are working on their heart.  Make sure those words are used to bless their little hearts and not break them.


No comments:

Post a Comment