Monday, January 19, 2015

What This Mom Really Wants For Valentine's Day

I recall when my husband and I first started dating (or courting as my Papaw referred to it). Valentine’s Day was such a big deal. He would go above and beyond for that special day. I recall one year was a scavenger hunt in the parking lot of my job. Then there was the phone call he made to my best friend to find out a few of my favorite things early on in our relationship. My favorite year was the time he ordered me a “Valentine Teddy Bear” online. I lived with my grandfather at that time, and it was delivered with roses. Apparently, my (now) husband didn't read the description too well because the “Valentine Teddy Bear” arrived in silk boxers with hearts all over them and the words “kiss me.” My face is red as I type this and tell you that my grandfather answered the door for that delivery. I still have that bear.
Fast forward nine years, three children under five, everyday chaos of normal life, and Valentine’s Day is the last thing on our minds. I no longer expect fancy gifts, expensive dinners, or a grand surprise. I know for a fact he would still do those things if I wanted, but let’s just say my idea of the perfect Valentine’s Day has changed a little. If he were to ask me what this momma really wants for Valentine’s Day this year, I happen to have made a list. Here are the five things this momma really wants for Valentine’s Day.

A Shower

A nice, long shower with the ability to close and lock the door so I don’t have any little visitors. I would like to stay in there so long that I actually get to remember what it feels like to have my hands and fingers resemble shriveled up prunes. I don’t want to ask for too much, but if I get to stay in there long enough to shampoo AND condition my hair, that would be a plus. Even better, I actually get to shave more than just half of my leg

To Sleep In

I can’t recall it too well anymore, but I know for a fact I did sleep in until one in the afternoon before kids. These days I can tell you what every single sunrise looks like. The days of waking up and feeling fully refreshed from a good sleep are way over. I know how to function on less than 2 hours of sleep, and can cover up dark circles under my eyes like a pro. I can promise you, if you allow me to sleep in until eight in the morning, there is the potential for me to go from mom to supermom. In order for this transformation to take place, it must be completely silent and last until 10 am.

Macaroni Art

I love it when my husband takes the kids to buy me something special like a box of chocolates, balloons, or flowers. That’s not what I really want though, I want the macaroni art. I want the macaroni necklaces, with the colored macaroni of course. I want it to be shaped in a heart by tiny hands filled with love. Store-bought items are nice, but holidays are more special with handmade gifts. After all, isn't that what Valentine’s Day is all about: love? All the love and effort their little hands use to make that art makes it so special.

Time with my babies

Isn't it funny as moms we desperately long for that alone time. Those few minutes where we can actual sit and think. The minute we get it, we always long to be with our babies. Sure, I could ask for an entire day to myself my husband would certainly oblige, but that would be boring. I want to enjoy this day of love with the ones I love the most. The ones that showed me what it means to love someone else more than you love yourself. The ones that know how to make my heart skip a beat and fill it with joy.

A pause button

I know this is a long shot but if you could find out how to make this gift happen I would forever be grateful. You see I need time to stand still for a little while; these moments with my little ones are going by way faster than this mommy would like. I would like them to stay little for a little while longer.
It’s not that I don’t miss the days when my husband would surprise me with nice things, it’s just that now my priorities have changed. What matters isn't the words in a card or the jewelry and purses… it’s the endless hugs, kisses, and sweet memories made with my family that make Valentine’s Day the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment